Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ellen DeGeneres' Bio

Comedienne, talk show host, Emmy winner, Academy Awards show host, ardent dog lover (one dog, at least), dorky-dancing power lesbian Ellen DeGeneres knows how to work a tough crowd while playing it safe with even the riskiest material. Always donning sneakers and comfy cotton clothes, she's like everyone's favorite P.E. coach. Like most noteworthy comedians discovered in the '80s, Ellen's big break came courtesy of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. A few years later she landed her own sitcom, Ellen ('94-'98), on which she and her character simultaneously came out of the closet.

For mating purposes, Ellen seems to prefer the lipstick variety of same-sex partner, having dated actress-slash-psycho Anne Heche for more than three years, then moving on to even cuter blond Portia de Rossi in 2004. Born in a New Orleans, Louisiana, suburb on January 6, 1958, Ms. DeGeneres also made headlines when she sobbed on camera, begging for the return of a dog of which she had illegally transfered adoption. That's when it got a little weird.
I think one thing everyone will remember looking back at 2009 is the historic appointment of our newest female judge ... on American Idol. I'm excited. I'm nervous. I can't wait to start.

Speaking of American Idol, Adam Lambert amazed me this year. I realized that when he was on my show. He was sitting next to me, talking openly about being a gay man. I don't think we're used to seeing that on TV. It wasn't a stereotype. It wasn't a joke. He was just honest. And he told me if I keep my nail polish in the refrigerator, it will go on smoother. Did you know that?

I also learned how to text this year. If you saw how big my thumbs are, you'd be impressed. (Most of the time I text Portia that I "lobe" her, but I'm getting better.)

Oprah begged me to be on the cover of her magazine, and we became best friends (Sorry, Gayle). Now it's only a matter of time before we drive cross-country together.

Also in 2009, Portia and I became aunts for the first time. There's nothing like seeing a beautiful baby being brought into the world. And he's 8 months old, so cute—wait, it's a she. Or is it a he? Either way ... it's cute. It doesn't matter. They all look the same until they're 12 anyway.

No comments: