Monday, February 1, 2010

Phil Mickelson feels Tiger Woods is needed for the sport

 Tiger Woods long-term rival Phil Mickelson has said that golf "needs him to come back."

Tiger Woods long-term rival Phil Mickelson has said that golf "needs him to come back."
You may also want to see

Addressing a pre-tournament news conference Wednesday at Torrey Pines, ESPN quoted Mickelson as saying: "The game of golf needs him to come back. I mean, it's important for him to come back and be a part of the sport. But right now he's got a lot more important things going on in his life.”

“ I don't want to talk about it publicly for the reason that we're friends and we have a personal relationship, and I just don't feel ... I feel like it's a violation of our trust and our relationship,” he added.

"Amy and I are good friends with both Tiger and Elin, and we care deeply about how this turns out. But I'm going to choose not to talk about it publicly anymore, and I appreciate your understanding on that," Mickelson said further.

Woods has not appeared in public since the November 27 accident and has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the game he has dominated over the last decade following revelations of marital infidelity.

Mickelson also said that he doesn't see it as his responsibility to fill the void left by Woods' absence.

"I haven't thought about it like that. I'm just excited to play golf. I'm excited to get back into competition and be a part of this. Nobody will be able to fill the shoes that are voided right now. My whole career I've been trying to get to No. 1, I just haven't had much success," he said.

No comments: